I enjoy baking & the real challenge for me was baking cakes. Yes I too had my share of disasters but I never gave up--- Try, Try & you will succeed.
My tip for beginners who want to succeed is to keep on trying. Never give up. Talk to people/friends who you consider is a pro in cake baking, ask them for tips. Do some reading on the net/library, I am sure you too can become a pro in no time!!. OK OK enough of preaching.... Let me walk you through with the cake making process.
-- 1 cup all purpose flour (I used 50% maidha & 50 % whole wheat flour)
-- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsps unsweetened natural cocoa powder ( I used Hershey's )
-- 1/2 tsp baking soda
-- 1/4 tsp salt
-- 1/2 cup ( 1 stick ) unsalted butter, melted & warm
-- 1.25 cups of sugar
-- 2 large eggs
-- 1 tsp vanilla extract
-- 1/2 cup hot water
-- I used a mix of berries for decoration ( strawberry,raspberry & blackberry)
- Position a rack in the lower third of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Butter the bottom of an 8- inch square or 9 - inch round cake pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour,cocoa,baking soda & salt. Whisk to blend.Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the warm melted butter & sugar. Add in the eggs & vanilla and beat until the mixture is well blended.
- Add all the flour mixture at once. Using a rubber spatula or a wooden spoon, stir just until all the flour mixture is moistened.
- Pour the hot water over the batter all at once. Stir until the water is incorporated & the batter is smooth.
- Transfer the batter onto the prepared/buttered pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Transfer the pan onto a wire rack & let the cake cool for about 20 minutes.
- To unmould, slide a slim knife around the edges of the cake to release it from the pan. Invert the cake pan & it will easily slide down.
- Allow the cake to completely cool before frosting or decorate it with fruits & nuts of your choice.
-- This recipe makes one 8-inch square or 9-inch round cake. Serves 8-10.
-- To butter/grease the pan I used PAM baking spray.
-- Make sure the butter and the eggs are at room temperature.
-- Also make sure you sift the flours & the cocoa powder.
-- This cake is perfect for a beginner -- gives you instant gratification & the confidence to bake more!