Moong Dal ( known as the split green gram dal/lentil ) is high in nutritional value. Here is a quick and easy way to make this ladoo. This one is great for kids too!
-- 1 cup yellow moong dal ( split green gram)
-- 3/4 cup heaped sugar
-- 3 to 4 cardamons peeled and powdered
-- A pinch of nutmeg powder (optional)
-- 8 to 10 broken cashews
-- 5-6 raisins
-- About 10 to 12 tsps of ghee / clarified butter
- On low heat toast the moong dal until it is uniform reddish brown in color.
- Remove from heat and spread it on a plate to cool.
- Heat a tsp of ghee/clarified butter and saute the cashews and raisins till the cashews turn light brown in color and the raisins plump up a bit. Remove and keep it aside in a bowl.
- Grind the dal and sugar to a fine powder. Mix in the cashews,raisins,cardamom and nutmeg powder with this mixture.
- Heat 10 tsps of ghee/clarified butter in a wide saucepan. Mix this with the dal mixture until it is well combined.
- Remove from heat and shape into ladoo's when the mixture becomes warm enough to handle.
Note: Add tsps of hot ghee gradually if the mixture cannot be shaped into ladoo's. Makes about 22 to 24 ladoo's depending on the size you shape them into.